There are many chemistry demonstrations that produce smoke, but violet smoke is quite a lot more interesting! Here are two ways to produce violet smoke.
Violet Smoke Safety Infoiodine
Violet Smoke Method #1
- 1 part powdered zinc
- 4 parts powdered iodine
- wash bottle or dropper bottle filled with water
- Separately powder the zinc and iodine, using a mortar and pestle.
- Mix the ingredients in a shallow dish.
- Perform the demonstration by spraying a stream of water onto the powdered mix. Violet vapor will immediately form. You may wish to place a white board behind the dish to make the violet smoke more visible.
Violet Smoke Method #2
- 4 grams powdered ammonium nitrate
- 4 grams powdered zinc
- 1/2 gram iodine crystals
- wash bottle or dropper bottle of water