Bake and decorate a creepy eyeball cake for Halloween, birthday or fun science parties. This cake is very simple to make. Although it looks 'eye-catching', it doesn't require any special pans or cake-decorating materials.
Bake the Eyeball Cake
- Select your favorite cake mix. White cake matches the frosting, but you could add red food coloring to a mix to make a bloody eyeball. Yes, it's gross, but that is the point, right? Preheat your oven (350° F).
- Spray a glass or metal 2-qt mixing bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the pan with flour. Shake out any excess.
- Bake the cake. It will take about as long as if you were baking a bundt cake… probably around 35 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the bowl and set it on a plate. If the cake sticks, you can use a rubber spatula or butter knife to help release it.
Decorate the Eyeball Cake
- Frost the entire cake with white frosting. If you want a perfectly smooth eyeball, use white icing, which is thinner and sets with a glossy finish.
- Draw an eye using blue or frosting. You can use a glass to imprint a circle shape in the white frosting.
- Fill in the pupil of the eye with black frosting or use a circle made from construction paper. I used a mini-Reeses wrapper.
- Use red gel frosting to trace blood vessels in the white of the eye.