Stewart is an occupational name for a steward or manager of a household or estate, or one who had charge of a king's or important noble's household. The surname is from the Middle English stiward, meaning "steward." Stewart is the 54th most popular surname in the United States and the 7th most common surname in Scotland with origins in Scottish and English. Common misspellings and alternate names include Stuart and Steward.
- Jon Stewart: The American comedian, producer, director, and writer who previously hosted the television show The Daily Show, a popular satirical news program on Comedy Central.
- Martha Stewart: An entrepreneur and bestselling author famous for her DIY crafts, home decor tips, and inspirational recipes.
- Rod Stewart: A British rock singer and songwriter who has sold over 100 million records.
- Kristen Stewart: Famous for acting as "Bella" in the movie series Twilight, Kristen is an American actress and model who began acting in 1999.
- 100 Most Common U.S. Surnames & Their Meaning
Smith, Johnson, Williams, Jones, Brown… Are you one of the millions of Americans sporting one of these top 100 common last names from the 2000 census?
- Stewart Family Genealogy Forum
Search this popular genealogy forum for the Stewart surname to find others who might be researching your ancestors, or post your own Stewart query.
- FamilySearch - STEWART Genealogy
Access over 6 million free historical records and lineage-linked family trees posted for the Stewart surname and its variations on this free genealogy website hosted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Stewart Surname & Family Mailing Lists
RootsWeb hosts several free mailing lists for researchers of the Stewart surname. In addition to joining a list, you can also browse or search the archives to explore over a decade of postings for the Stewart surname.
- DistantCousin.com - STEWART Genealogy & Family History
Explore free databases and genealogy links for the last name Stewart.
- GeneaNet - Stewart Records
GeneaNet includes archival records, family trees, and other resources for individuals with the Stewart surname, with a concentration on records and families from France and other European countries.
- The Stewart Genealogy and Family Tree Page
Browse genealogy records and links to genealogical and historical records for individuals with the English surname Stewart from the website of Genealogy Today.
References: Surname Meanings and Origins
Cottle, Basil. "Penguin Dictionary of Surnames." Baltimore: Penguin Books, 1967.
Menk, Lars. "A Dictionary of German Jewish Surnames." Bergenfield, NJ: Avotaynu, 2005.
Beider, Alexander. "A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from Galicia." Bergenfield, NJ: Avotaynu, 2004.
Hanks, Patrick and Flavia Hodges. "A Dictionary of Surnames." New York: Oxford University Press, 1989.
Hanks, Patrick. "Dictionary of American Family Names." New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
Hoffman, William F. "Polish Surnames: Origins and Meanings." Chicago: Polish Genealogical Society, 1993.
Rymut, Kazimierz. "Nazwiska Polakow." Wroclaw: Zaklad Narodowy im. Ossolinskich - Wydawnictwo, 1991.
Smith, Elsdon C. "American Surnames." Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997.